August 13, 2021
Dear Fifth Grade Families,
Happy Friday! It’s hard to believe that we’re only a few days away from starting our school year! Our teachers have been working hard to get classrooms ready for students to come to learn. This year will be unique and I truly appreciate you reaching out with questions and clarifications about how things are running this year. In this letter, you will find an abundance of information that will help answer any further questions you may have.
Teachers will spend the first few days of school focusing on building relationships, developing a positive classroom culture, and practicing routines and expectations. We strongly believe that positive relationships are the foundation for a successful school year.
Topics included below
- School Supply/Meet the teacher: Monday, August 16, 3-4 pm
- 5th Grade First full day of school, Wednesday, August 18
- Arrival and dismissal procedures
- School Hours
- Lunch & Recess Procedures
- Health & Safety Reminders
- Forward together signs
- Important Upcoming Dates
5th Grade Supply Drop off and Meet the teacher Monday, Aug 16, 2021 from 3-4 pm @ Bryan Middle School
- Please enter through the front door (door 1)
- Staff will be there to greet you and there will be signs to guide you to the 5th-grade classrooms.
- Your child’s classroom teacher will be in the room to welcome you and answer any questions
- You and your child will have the opportunity to walk the building to find the gym, art room, music room, library, auditorium, and lunchroom
**Students will receive their Chromebooks on Wednesday, the first day of school.
First Full Day of School is Wednesday, August 18. Please note that this differs from Bryan Middle School.
Arrival and Dismissal
We ask that families proceed with caution during pick-up and drop-off times at Bryan Middle School. We encourage students to walk or ride their bikes when they can. All students have bike racks outside their student entry doors.
- 5th Grade Families: If you are driving your student to school, please drop off on the corner of VanBuren Street and Washington going towards Euclid. Your student will enter through door #7, which is next to the 5th-grade classroom pod.
School Hours for 5th graders - same as Elementary School
- Students should arrive between 8:00 and 8:05. Students will enter door 7 at 8:05 and those doors will close at 8:15. If your child arrives after 8:15, he or she should go around to the front door, Door 1.
- Students will be dismissed at 3:00 pm
Tardy to School
The morning school day begins at 8:15 am. If you bring your child to school after 8:15 am, you must enter the office and sign them in. If a 5th-grade student arrives at school after 8:35 am (20 minutes after the start of the morning session) it will be counted as a ½ day absence.
Students Bringing their lunch to school.
- Students may bring their lunch to school
- When they arrive, they will place their lunch container in their locker or cubby.
- When it is time for them to eat lunch, they will remove their lunch from their locker and carry it to lunch.
Lunch Procedures for Students Going Home for Lunch – Any parent wishing to have their child leave the building for lunch between the hours of 10:50 am and 12:50 pm, will be asked to follow these simple guidelines;
- Each child will be asked to bring a note from their parent or guardian stating that the student will be leaving the building for lunch. Students should give that note to their teachers.
- The parent or guardian will come into the office to sign their child out and meet their child in the front foyer or the office at the beginning of their designated lunch hour. If your child is leaving the building with another parent, please write the parent's name on your child’s lunch note to their teacher. The parent picking your child will come into the office to pick up all children at one time. For these situations, the parent picking up children other than their own must sign them in and out of the building.
- If someone other than the parent or guardian is taking your child out of the building for lunch, please write this person’s name on your child’s lunch note to their teacher. Inform this person they should enter door 1 and inform the office of the purpose of their visit. For these situations, your designated adult must sign the child in and out of the building.
- Please bring your child back to school no earlier than 11:50 am for 1st and 2nd grade or 12:50 pm for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.
ORDERING HOT LUNCH FROM THE CAFETERIA
Hot lunch will begin the first day of school on Wednesday, August 18, 2021. There is no charge for hot lunches this year. The USDA has extended schools to serve lunches to students under the National School Lunch Program which is open to all children and maintains the nutritional standard of the standard meal program. If your child would like to order a hot lunch, they will be following these procedures. Teachers will also be reviewing these procedures with the children in each classroom.
- Hot Lunch Menus will be available weekly. In the past we have been able to provide monthly menus, unfortunately, because of supply and transportation shortages, our menus will only be available weekly.
- At home, please determine if your child will be ordering hot lunch.
- Each morning in each classroom, the teacher will create a standard routine for students ordering hot lunches. Students must order their lunch in the morning during the teacher’s morning routine.
- Each morning, the teacher will send their “hot lunch count” to the office.
- When it is time for your child to eat lunch, they will enter the cafeteria and form a line at the hot lunch serving table. They will receive their lunch and move to their lunch space with their classmates.
- What if my child forgets to order a hot lunch in the morning? We try to have a few extra on hand. However, we don’t want to rely upon the “extra meals'' being available on a daily basis. Students need to order their lunch in the morning to make sure our order is correct and we have lunches for all students who order them.
SOCIAL DISTANCING DURING LUNCH
- Students will be seated at their tables with their classmates.
- Students will remove their masks and eat their lunch.
TABLE ARRANGEMENTS DURING LUNCH
- Students will be assigned a table and all students in that class will eat their lunch at that table.
- When weather permits students will eat lunch outside, picnic style. Your child should bring a towel or mat to sit on
- Students do not have to wear their masks outside while at recess.
- Students will use the field, gaga ball pit, and back blacktop for recess.
HEALTH & SAFETY REMINDER
We are so excited to have your students back in school this week! As a reminder, when students and adults come to school, everyone will wear a face mask covering their nose and mouth. We always have extras on hand, and if your student needs support, we are happy to provide that so that everyone can be safe and healthy. We regularly provide breaks from masks during the day, and our students don’t have to wear masks when they go outside.
FORWARD TOGETHER 2021-22
We are ready to move Forward Together for the 2021-22 school year! If you are taking photos on the first day of school, you are welcome to use our first day of school sign. Print out the sign, take a photo with your student, and post to social media with the hashtag #ForwardTogetherD205. We’ll repost your photos on our social media platforms!
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- August 16, 3:00 - 4:00 pm 5th Grade Meet your Teacher and School Supply drop off
- August 18 - First day of school (full day for 5th grade)
- Hours: 8:15 am – 3:00 pm
- August 25 - First Late Arrival; students arrive at 9:30, classes begin at 9:45 am.
- August 26 - 6-7 pm Curriculum Night; (in person) additional details to follow
- Parent-Teacher Conference Dates Monday, November 22, 4:30-8 pm, Tuesday, November 23, 10-6 pm
Please be sure to download the 2021-22 D205 calendar with holidays, student late arrivals, etc.
If you need to contact someone about a school-related, bus, or report a child absent, please call the Bryan main office at 630-617-2350 Monday - Friday, 7:30 am-3:30 pm. Attendance Line: 630-617-8222.
Please reach out if you need anything. My email is email@example.com. Looking forward to a great year together!